In professional work, the check mark symbol is important for conveying the feeling of work completion. But on Mac, there’s no specific key to insert this symbol, due to which many people ask how to type a check mark on Mac.
A checkmark can be inserted in Mac by pressing the “Option + V” buttons simultaneously. Also, it can be typed by using Keyboard Preferences and different codes.
This article explains all the methods for typing check marks on Mac step-by-step. At the end of this article, you’ll surely be able to type a checkmark on your Mac. So let’s jump into it.
How To Type A Check Mark On Mac?
The following methods can be used to type a check mark on Mac:
1. Using Option + V Shortcut
To insert a checkmark on a Mac, you can use the “Option + V” buttons from the keyboard. This method is quick and efficient and saves time when working on documents or other projects.
To use this shortcut, simply open a document or text where you want to type a checkmark symbol, then press the “Option” key along with the “V” key. This will automatically insert a checkmark symbol into your text or document.
Note: It’s important to note that while this shortcut is often referred to as an effective way to insert a checkmark symbol, it inserts a “Square-root” symbol.
Although it looks like a check mark, it’s not genuine. But you’ll only notice it when you see it properly. So, if you want a genuine check mark, follow the next method.
2. Through The Keyboard Preferences
While the “Option + V” shortcut is a quick way to type a check mark on Mac, it’s important to note that this shortcut inserts a “square-root” symbol.
So, if you want a genuine check mar, you can use the Emoji & Symbol features provided by the macOS in the keyboard preferences.
This is a bit lengthy method of typing a check mark on Mac, but it provides you with a genuine check mark.
For this method, first, you’ll need to enable the Emojis & Symbols feature from the keyboard preferences. Below is the step-by-step guide on how you can enable it and type a checkmark:
- Click on the Apple icon on the top left corner of your Mac screen and go to System Preferences.
- From a new window, click on the keyboard to open the keyboard settings.
- In the keyboard settings, ensure that the option “Show Keyboard, Emoji, & Symbol viewers in menu bar” is enabled. If not, then enable it.
- After that, close the keyboard settings and check the menu bar to see if the Emoji & Symbols option appears.
- If it’s showing, click on it from the Edit Menu. After that, a new window will appear, showing different emojis and symbols provided by the macOS.
- Type the checkmark or simply check in the search bar, and all the checkmark symbols appear. Choose your favorite one.
- Double-click on that symbol to insert it into your document.
3. Using Different Codes
If you feel the above method’s length and want to know the other methods of how to type a check mark on Mac, this method is for you.
Different check marks can be inserted on your Mac by specific codes. Below is the complete table of check marks and their shortcut codes:
|Check Mark||Description||Mac Shortcut Code|
|✔||Simple Check Mark||Option + 2713|
|✔||Heavy Check Mark||Option + 2714|
|✅||White Heavy Check Mark||Option + 2705|
|☑||Ballot Box With Check||Option + 2611|
|⍻||Not Check Mark||Option + 237B|
Note: On Mac, you’ll need to change the keyboard layout to “Unicode Hex Input” and then type the shortcut codes. These codes mostly work in the browser.
4. Using Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office is the best platform for writing documents and is designed for both Mac and Windows. Microsoft Office on Mac gives you many smart features and ease of use.
The Office comes with a built-in Symbols feature using which you can insert numerous symbols and special characters in your text. Below is a step-by-step guide of how you can find the check mark symbol in MS Office on Mac:
- Open MS Word and launch your document.
- Look for the Insert tab in the Menu bar and click on it.
- After that, the Advanced Sysmbol option will appear in the top right corner. Click on it.
- A new window will appear with the list and the two sections of special characters and symbols.
- Under the Symbol section, change the Font from “Symbol” to “Windings.”
- Now look for the check mark symbols in the box. There will be multiple check mark symbols. Choose what you want.
- Click on it to insert it into your document.
5. Using Bullets In Office Documents On Mac
It’s also an effective method of typing a checkmark, especially when working on Office Documents. You can type a checkmark in your text using the bullets feature of MS Office.
Follow these steps to insert a checkmark in your document:
- Open MS Word or any other platform of MS Office like Excel, etc, and launch your document.
- Select the Bullets option from the Toolbar menu. Click on the arrow beside the bullets to see all the options.
- Select the check mark option to use it instead of bullets.
- A check mark will appear in your text. You can press enter to insert the second check mark below it.
You can insert multiple check marks from the bullets option in your document on Mac.
6. Type Check Mark Using HTML Codes
You can also insert some symbols and characters using the HTML codes on your MacBook. Below is the table of some shortcuts that you can use to type a checkmark on your Mac:
|HTML Shortcodes||Name Of Check Mark||Check Mark Type|
|U + 2713 (10003)||✓||Simple check mark|
|U + 2714 (10004)||✔||Heavy check mark|
|U + 2611 (9745)||☑||Check mark with box|
7. Using Copy And Paste Method
The copy-and-paste method is a very simple and effective way to insert a checkmark symbol in your document on Mac. It’s a method that we use. Follow these simple steps to get this method done:
- Open Chrome, Safari, or any other browser you use on your Mac.
- Type the check mark symbol in the search box.
- Copy the Check Mark symbol from the results.
- Paste the symbol where you want it in your documents.
- That’s it.
By following the above methods, you must now know how to type a check mark on Mac.
How To Type A Check Mark In Excel On Mac?
If you’re working in Excel on your Mac, you can also type a check mark using the Symbols features of Excel. This method also provides a genuine check mark.
To type a checkmark in Excel, follow these steps:
- Open Excel and launch your document.
- From the toolbar menu, click on Insert.
- After that, click on Symbols from the top right corner.
- A new window will appear. Search for the checkmark symbol in the search bar.
- Insert your favorite checkmark by clicking on it.
This is how to type a check mark on Mac in Excel.
How To Type A Check Mark In Google Docs On Mac?
To type a checkmark in Google Docs on Mac, follow these simple steps:
- Open Google Docs on your browser and launch the document.
- Place the cursor where you want to insert the check mark symbol.
- From the Toolbar Menu, click on the Insert option. And from the drop-down menu, click on Special Characters.
- In the search bar, write a check mark or simply check. Select the check mark you want based on your needs.
- Click on it and the check mark will be inserted into your document.
This is how to type a check mark on Mac in Google Docs.
How To Type A Check Mark In MacBook Clamshell Mode?
You can’t use the internal keyboard and trackpad when your MacBook is in clamshell mode. So as your external keyboard doesn’t contain the Option key. So what’ll you do in this situation?
Follow these steps to type a checkmark in MacBook clamshell mode:
- Place the cursor where you want to insert the check mark.
- Press the “Alt + V” keys on your external keyboard.
That’s it. This is how to type a check mark On Mac in clamshell mode.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where Is The Symbol In Google Sheets On Mac?
Google Sheets doesn’t have a symbol option. So, if you want to insert a checkmark in Google Sheets, copy and paste the checkmark symbol.
How To Do A Checkmark On A Mac Keyboard?
To type a checkmark on a mac keyboard, press the “Option + V” keys. Although it will insert the Square-root symbol, it looks similar to the check mark.
How Do I Insert A Check Mark In Word?
In a word, simply click on the insert option from the toolbar menu. Click on Symbols from the top right corner. Change the Font from “Symbols” to “Windings.” Look for the checkmark in the results.
The article concluded that a checkmark could be inserted simultaneously by pressing the “Option + V” buttons. Also, it can be typed by using Keyboard Preferences and different codes.
Hopefully, now you should know how to type a check mark on Mac and all the related queries.
Michael Davis is a tech expert specializing in troubleshooting Apple product issues and navigating the world of modern technology. With a wealth of experience, he simplifies complex problems and offers straightforward solutions.